Re: Aptana and Iceweasel [OT]

On 13/02/12 15:12, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
> At 02:30 PM 2/12/2012, Camale�n wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:54:12 -0500, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

<snipped>

> I cannot get it to work in Linux.

The code you posted in your original post *will* render on any platform.
GNU/Linux included. It had errors - but none that would have stopped it
"working"[*1].

This is it as rendered by Iceweasel using Standards Compliance mode:-
http://ge.tt/9bWpbaD/v/0

The code was copied from your original post and named:-
test.html and First.css (and placed in the same directory).
First.css:-
http://paste.debian.net/156170
test.html:-
http://paste.debian.net/156171

Don't forget - the filenames are case sensitive. First.css != first.css

[*1]The example you gave would not have done what you expected to do -
but the style sheet would have functioned.

i.e. only "acde" is in the Wrapper element.
;nothing is in the Sidebar element, and the other two divs in your html
aren't described in your css (and you haven't used inheritance) so they
aren't applied.
; you used "color" - *not* color-background - but that shouldn't be a
huge problem - this is a learning exercise, not production code.

You also had an invalid doc type - which only affect validation,
Iceweasel/Firefox and most browsers will still display it.

If your css is in the same directory as the html then it *will* work
(it's a relative path).

You only need to have it in /var/www (or whatever the root of your web
server is) if you are *serving* it. If the machine you are running your
web browser on is the same machine the html file (and css file) lives on
- you don't need a web server.

Have another look at the example I posted earlier - I added the
additional code for a reason. If you modify it you'll be able to see
what affects what (I put the colours in to make it easier for you to see
the DOM).

> Ethan

Kind regards