Re: "hostname" question during Debian installation

On Lu, 13 feb 12, 03:16:17, Martin T wrote:
> During Debian installation there is a question about "hostname" using
> expert installation mode.

During normal mode as well ;)

> Am I correct, that "hostname" inserted during Debian installation is
> associated with a local(address from 127.0.0.0/8 range) IP address:
>
> <<<<<
> martin@martin-ThinkPad-T60:~$ hostname
> martin-ThinkPad-T60
> martin@martin-ThinkPad-T60:~$ grep martin-ThinkPad-T60 /etc/hosts
> 192.168.1.67	martin-ThinkPad-T60
> ::1	martin-ThinkPad-T60	localhost6.localdomain6	localhost6
> 127.0.1.1	martin-ThinkPad-T60
> martin@martin-ThinkPad-T60:~$

Yes, as you have shown

> ..and it's used by few software programs(for example Apache, MySQL),
> but hostname is usable only locally and not reachable from any other
> machine even inside the LAN?

This depends a lot on the rest of your network, but I assume you have
complete control over it and you would have known if you did some
configuration for that (e.g. added it to /etc/hosts on another
computer).

> In addition, aren't most of the programs
> using 127.0.0.1 address which is mapped to "localhost" in /etc/hosts
> file not to hostname I set:
>
> <<<<<
> martin@martin-desktop:~$ sudo netstat -lnpt
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
> State       PID/Program name
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:8118          0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      1233/polipo
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      1057/cupsd
> tcp6       0      0 ::1:631                 :::*
> LISTEN      1057/cupsd
> martin@martin-desktop:~$
> >>>>>

> If yes, then changing the hostname shouldn't break any
> services/programs associated with it?
>
> All the explanations and clarifications are most welcome!

1. grep -r martin-ThinkPad-T60 /etc/*
2. change all occurrences
3. restart

Kind regards,