Re: free software mini pc

On 02/12/2012 07:29 AM, green wrote:
> keitho@strucktower.com wrote at 2012-02-12 08:28 -0600:
>> But I'm curious about the original query- what's the need for such an
>> ultra-quiet machine?
> Reason 1: no cleaning.  A system with a fan requires cleaning.  Frequency
> of cleaning depends on the environment.  The desktop that this will replace
> is in a somewhat dusty environment.
>
> Reason 2: I have seen (slightly) more fans fail than hard disks.  So this
> second reason suggests that a fanless system is slightly lower maintenance in
> the long term.
>
> Reason 3: yeah, noise.  Really this is not a big deal, but quietness is nice.
I was tempted to remain quiet, but here is the vendor I use for this calls of thing.

http://www.logicsupply.com/categories/fanless_systems

They have a FEW system they have marked as unusuitable for use with Linux.  On checking as to why, they observed that they didn't do a clean shutdown on with Ubuntu 10.04... Which
was a know issue with that particular distro/version.  I did my own testing and found them to be totally suitable for my environment. YMMV.