can't mount samsung phone, lsusb hangs

I just "upgraded" from a motorola droid 2 to a samsung stratosphere.
It doesn't automount, as the droid did.
When I try to lsusb to find it,
I get no output, but lsusb hangs, even with -v option.

I'm using squeeze, with openbox (no gnome or kde bloat).
With my former phone, a dialog box would pop up asking me if I wanted to
open the storage device with file manager (pcmanfm) or gthumb
(apparently it sees the phone only as a camera, but, whatever, since it
worked).

Does anybody have this phone and successfully mount it?

Thanks,
Tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me