Re: Gpm Eats the Disk

On Monday 30 January 2012 12:19:06 David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2012 11:50:45
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
>
> wrote:
> > * David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> schrieb:
> > > Gpm starts spewing error messages  syslog and daemon.log grow and grow
> > > quickly  filling the /var filesystem's partition. I mean 10's of
> > > gigabytes. The system still works but is now crippled, anything really
> > > needing /var like mail is borked. So is ext3 journaling.
> >
> > Which messages exactly ?
>
> Messages about (missing?) mouse events. Honestly, I have not actually read
> them in a long time (as I said, this is not a new problem).

Just tailed them before deleting the runaway logs--zillions of:e
Feb  9 20:54:04 dovidhalevi /usr/sbin/gpm[3533]: *** err
[daemon/getmousedata.c(47)]:
Feb  9 20:54:04 dovidhalevi /usr/sbin/gpm[3533]: Error in read()ing first: No
such device

Top (or equivalent) will show gpm eating cpu cycles and additonally, user
"logcheck" is running "egrep." I need to kill both of them to quiet things
down.

This problem likely only for USB mice. Pain.

Actually, since xorg does its own mousing around, for what do I really need
gpm? Nvidia's driver renders consoles mostly unusable anyway. Maybe the work
around is simply not to run gpm at all. It can always be started if need be.