[OT] Re: GNU/Debian Linux vs. facebook, Twitter and other proprietary social media

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 18:26:25 -0500, Nick Lidakis wrote:

> I hope this isn't too off topic for this list but smart people lurk
> about these parts.

It is a bit off-topic, indeed :-)

> In a nutshell, my wife and I starting a small business in a family
> oriented neighborhood. We're serving coffee, espresso and baking fresh
> bread and pastry on premises. The shop will be located at the northern
> tip of Manhattan in the vicinity of Inwood Hill Park (last remaining
> undeveloped, old growth forest in Manhattan), Isham Park and Fort Tryon
> Park.

(...)

> Everyone has been telling us that we *absolutely* have to be on facebook
> and twitter, if not more, for our coffee house. They argue that it's
> free marketing and advertising. That we need facebook to advertise
> events and specials. That most people today check their facebook before
> their email. That is, if they check their email at all.
>
> This does not sit well with me. I've read the tech news concerning
> facebook's privacy and "intellectual property" policies. I've recently
> read about twitter's country based censorship controversy.
>
> Being a neighborhood shop, I was hoping to avoid social media. I want to
> interact with people in person. But I agree that I need a way to let
> people know about events of specials. Can I do that with GNU software
> without selling my soul to Zuckerberg? Do I even need software or could
> I be smarter about this?

(...)

Extremes are always bad.

I would open a Facebook and Twitter (Google+, MySpace...) accounts for
people who uses these means but also think about another users that care
about their privacy so I'd open accounts in Identi.ca and DIASPORA*, the
open counterparts for Internet socializing.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón