TO:
	* debian-user@lists.debian.org
Message flagged
Sunday, 5 February 2012 10:28 AM
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 10:36:04 -0600, John Hasler wrote:
>> Stan Hoeppner writes:
>>> In the US, in the case of environments such as manufacturing floors etc
>>> with horrific EMI levels, fiber is used instead of UTP CAT5/6. With EFI
>>> levels that high, even STP won't save you.
>>
>> STP can make things worse as almost nobody knows how to terminate
>> shields in such a way as to avoid ground loops.
> That's no longer true :-)

> And here it is a good article explaining the shielding advantadges:

> ***
> Why shielded twisted-pair matters for 10GBase-T > http://www.cablinginstall.com/index/display/article-display/279393/articles/cabling-installation-maintenance/volume-14/issue-12/features/design/why-shielded-twisted-pair-matters-for-10gbase-t.html > ***

That is a very old *advertisement*

Here are some modern references that are not from people with a lot of
old IBM type 1 cable they try to sell.

http://www.utp-vs-stp.com/web/Microsites/UTP-vs-STP/
http://www.exergia.info/Lightning/lightning4.htm

> Greetings,

> --
> Camaleón

No modern company/university/department/business use STP.

Maybe in Malaga, where they nail cable to trees :-)
You make Spain sound backward. Not true.

Expansys and DTT Global Networking Solutions are the o biggest cable companies in
Spain (and Europe). I can tell you they rarely see STP except to remove it or for 10 year ago for outdoors. Even outdoors between buildings it is fibre now.
In ceilings near fluorescents just use J hooks and run perpendicular - but usually always
fibre unless homemade installer.

I think you do not represent most business.