Re: System locks

On 02/04/2012 11:02 AM, lina wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Thanks, it's fixed
> after aptitude purge xfce4 xfce4-session
> and remove some file in .config
>
> I guess there is still remainings, cause once I re-install xfce4 and
> xfce4-session,
>
> it came back again.
>
> All your suggestions are highly appreciated,
>
> Best regards,

Hi, Lina.

Xfce occasionally corrupts its settings for an individual user. I and
others have found that this is more likely to happen immediately after
applying updates, of which there have been quite a few for Xfce recently.

I believe that the corruption occurs because most frequently because
Xfce is placed in some intermediate state by the upgrades that have just
been applied, and the user logs out or reboots with the "Save session
for future logins" checkbox enabled. So, the corrupted session gets saved.

Here's a brief procedure that was suggested to me by a member of the
Xfce community. It always works for me when this happens:

1. Reboot in recovery mode. (Hit <esc> key during grub splash, and
select recovery mode.)

2. Log in to the recovery console with the root password.

3. Use su to change to the affected user id in the console. (su lina, in
this case)

4. From the command line delete $HOME/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-*
where * will be the machine id:display number. (probably
/home/lina/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-<your_machine_name>:0)

5. Reboot and bring up the system in the usual manner.

The above procedure can clear corruptions in the session settings
without removing most (any?) of your personally configured settings for
panels, desktop, etc. At worst it can do no harm. Xfce is capable or
re-creating the file you're deleting. I've never had to redo basic
configurations for the desktop after using the procedure.

I hope that information is useful. If not, then it at least should not
cause you any further troubles.

Best regards,
Gilbert