Re: [OT] how to take care of hand

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 11:18:55 +0800, lina wrote in message
<[🔎] 4F2CA39F.70701@gmail.com>:

> [...]
> >> keyboard, googled some way, a bit horrible, someone even said need
> >> do operations.
> >>
> >> are there some good way of avoiding it. 3 years ago I once had,
> >> but gone within week. now I get handache about it.
> >>
> >> just curious about the answer, thanks,
> >>

> > Hi Lina, I suffer from manual disability (inoperable right thumb)
> > and my hands hurt (especially the left) after extending typing.
> > Here is how I cope:
> >
> > 1) I put my index fingers on D and K instead of F and J. This not
> > only leads to better posture, but it removes much work from the
> > weak pinky fingers and transfers it to the strong index fingers.
> > Also, the Enter, Tab, Shift, Esc and other keys are much closer.
> >
> > 2) I use VIM, which although has a terrible learning curve lets me
> > keep my hands on the home row. I use Anki to learn VIM, and it is
> > going great.
> >
> > 3) I swapped CapsLock and Esc keys. Now Esc is closer, which I use
> > often due to VIM.
> >
> > 4) I take frequent breaks. RSIBreak in KDE helps me, in Gnome you
> > have the excellent Workrave applications.
> >
> > 5) I often swap between two very different keyboards: one
> > low-pressure split keyboard, and a conventional-layout board with
> > mechanical (Cherry) switches. I take care not to bottom out.
> >
> > 6) To prevent from bottoming out, I often swap between Colemak and
> > QWERTY. The confusion slows me down and makes me more conscientious
> > of my typing.
> >
> > 7) I stopped using my phone one handed! The terrible contortions
> > necessary to use the phone was actually hurting my hands, I found.
> > Now one hand holds the phone, and the other operates the buttons.
> >
> > 8) I brush my teeth with my left hand. This is partly due to my
> > manual disability in the right thumb, but it also helps strengthen
> > the left arm a bit. Men might find that other right-arm activities
> > should be moved to the left arm whenever possible or practical.
> >
> > 9) I just bought a pair of Baoding balls. I have yet to see if they
> > help, actually right now they hurt, but I will keep at it.
> >
> > 10) I take Omega 3 pills. These reduce any swelling in the left
> > hand, and make it more comfortable to type.
> >
> > 11) I notice that I grip pens and eating utensils very stiffly. I
> > now contentiously try to reduce that pressure.
> >
> > 12) I take great care not to hit anything with my hands. Even
> > pushing open the door to the building is now done by first placing
> > my hand on the door, then pushing. Or with my foot if nobody sees
> > me!
> >
> Thanks all, for your warm suggestions.
>
> I am sorry about Dotan's right thumb. It might be hard.
>
> Now I drag my laptop near me, before I put it a bit far,
> unconsciously to reduce radition (might be wrong). Thanks for Juan's
> suggestion.
>
> also practise the left hand control the mouse,
>
> It's a bit hard to put index fingers not on F and J. I barely looked
> at keyboard for years already. i will try.

..if you're changing your keyboard habits anyway, follow the
dvorak advice, it's a more dramatic change that will help stop
you from falling back into your bad qwerty habits, also because
it's about 40% speedier once you're up to speed.

..being 40% quicker, means you can do 5 days work in 3 days,
or use those 2 more days a week to come up with wiser ideas,
_while_ taking care of your own health, you've only got one.

..downside is the vim like week_s_ long agony while you learn.
Consider it an investment in your career and health. ;o)

> installing the workrave now.
>

> Thanks again for the kind suggestions,

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: