Re: Backup System

On 02/02/2012 09:36 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 02/02/2012 06:45 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
I have 3 computer running on Debian Squeeze. One has an unused hard
drive that I wish to use as a backup disk for all 3 computers. Is there
a simple way to do this that can be completely automated.

$ apt-cache search backup | less

There has been some discussion and theorizing about my reply. Here are some clarifications:

1. Learning how to administer Debian is tough -- Debian is a moving target, there is no single, canonical Debian learning resource (I prefer books; "Learning Debian GNU/Linux" is 12+ years old), the various canonical Debian information is of mixed quality and coverage, and there's a huge and readily available supply of outdated, tangential, and/or incorrect information to confuse and confound us all.

2. The easiest way to install and run software on Debian is to use the package system.

3. The OP (and others) may not know how to search the Debian package system. I was demonstrating how I would search for backup software on Debian. (The technique also works for other kinds of software.)

4. Taking a step back, the OP (and others) may not know about the Debian package system:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool

    $ info apt

    $ info apt-cache

HTH,