Re: Radeon HD 6500 lag mouse

Am Freitag, 3. Februar 2012 schrieb Dan:
> Hi,

Hi Dan!

> I bought a brand new computer with a Radeon HD 6500. I installed
> debian stable and I have two problems:

From what I remembered from Phoronix.com and elsewhere, Squeeze is to old
for HD6xxx series. man radeon might give a hint as it usual contains a
list of supported cards.

> The first one is that I am not able to set the maximum resolution that
> I have in my monitor which is 1920x1200. I can only set 1600x1200.

What does xrandr display? The mode related stuff from /var/log/Xorg.0.log
might also help.

> The second problem is that sometimes I have a lag of 2second in the
> mouse.
>
> I guess I have two options. I can install the proprietary drivers (I
> want to avoid this option) or I install the new radeon drivers from
> backports.

Or upgrade to Wheezy ;).

> The problem is that if I install the new driver from backports I have
> to install the whole new xserver system from backports.

Are you sure about that? Did you try? What does apt-cache show xserver-
xorg-video-radeon give for the backported one?

I ask cause 6.13.1 and 6.14.2 does not seem much of a difference regarding
the version and it should be possible to mix versions to a certain degree.

martin@merkaba:~> rmadison xserver-xorg-video-radeon | cut -c 1-69
 xserver-xorg-video-radeon | 1:6.9.0-1+lenny4    | lenny
 xserver-xorg-video-radeon | 1:6.13.1-2+squeeze1 | squeeze
 xserver-xorg-video-radeon | 1:6.14.2-1~bpo60+1  | backports/squeeze
 xserver-xorg-video-radeon | 1:6.14.3-2          | wheezy
 xserver-xorg-video-radeon | 1:6.14.3-2          | sid
 xserver-xorg-video-radeon | 1:6.14.3-2+exp1     | experimental

> Is that a good
> idea? In my understanding it is better not install too many things
> from backports to have a stable system. What do you think? Will I be
> able to get security updates?

I don´t think its a problem, but you only know for sure, when you try it.
Although downgrades are not officially supported, I did those several times
with X server packages and they generally worked well.

I have a ThinkPad T42 where the Wheezy driver (not the most current one,
but I think nonetheless a 6.14 one works well. But thats with a rather old
card. I would have to look the exact version up as the T520 I am using now
has Intel Sandybridge graphics.

Ciao,