Re: Python

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:24:17PM +0200, cletusjenkins wrote:
> Hello, I am interested to learn how to program in Python. What debian packages
> would I need to start coding some basic cgi in apache? Thanks.

In addition to what others have said, if you want to do web development
using Python, do yourself a favour and look at
http://killer-web-development.com and http://www.web2py.com.

Python is a great language, but keep in mind, if you learn py2, that doesn't
mean you'll instantly know py3, for example;

print "hello world" in py2 is valid, but not in py3 where it is

print("hello world")

In python2 "print" is a statement, and in python3 it's a function. If you are
looking for a book to buy as well, you can start with O'Reilly's Learning
Python (3e/2007), which covers Python 2.5, this will give you enough to
function adequitly in Python2.7 o you can just skip to the 4th edition (4e)
which covers Python2.6 and Python3.x.