Re: VNC into a Debian Machine

James Allsopp wrote:
> I really want to be able to use VNC to be able to view the full Gnome
> desktop on my laptop. I've been able to view a grey screen and a
> terminal, using vnc4server and tigervnc or vinagre, but what I'd like to
> be able to do is just view a whole screen as if I was actually there.

If I understand you correctly, you wish to access what is showing on
your laptop screen.

I've had success with x11vnc from the package with the same name.
After connecting to a machine via ssh, you can use this command to
setup a VNC server which serves up the X session currently on the
display via port 5900.

x11vnc -display :0.0

This command as listed will run without any authentication at all, so
you will need to specify an appropriate authentication method.  Note
that when the remote viewer is closed, this command terminates itself.
 Setting up an ssh tunnel would also be advisable in order to encrypt
the traffic.