Re: Kernel Compiling from scratch

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 14:42 +0100, maderios wrote:
> On 01/25/2012 09:21 PM, Syed Hasan Atizaz wrote:
> > I am able to compile the kernel for i386, however no initial ram disk
> > image is created, i did with the help of mkinitramfs though it was
> > empty, still unable to boot.
> You need  both make-kpkg and initramfs-tools
> Then:
> make-kpkg kernel_image --initrd

I usually run

 make-kpkg clean
 make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image kernel-headers

headers are often needed.

Regarding to what exactly you wish to do and regarding to the Debian or
Ubuntu version you're using you should run

apt-get update
apt-get install fakeroot build-essential crash kexec-tools makedumpfile
kernel-package kernel-wedge
apt-get build-dep linux
apt-get install libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libelf-dev asciidoc
binutils-dev

to get all dependencies. This isn't needed always, but usually there's
nothing missing if you do install the dependencies this way.

- Ralf