Re: xfs backup system vs rsynce

Dan a écrit :
I use rdiff-backup it uses the rsync alorythm but it keeps the
increments so you can recover deleted files or the old form of file. I
makes weekly backups and delete files in the backup files which are
older than 3 months.

Take care with --remove-older-than option, as the man page says:

"Note that snapshots of deleted files are covered by this operation.
Thus if you deleted a file two weeks ago, backed up immediately after‐
wards, and then ran rdiff-backup with --remove-older-than 10D today, no
trace of that file would remain."

You can loose valuable old files.  So, one thing I really miss in
rdiff-backup is an option to remove backups older than <a point in time>
AND newer than <another point in time>.  Thus, I could reduce daily
backups to weekly, etc.  But still, I can loose files.

In a near future, I think I'll switch to venti(1) and/or vbackup(8) of "Plan 9 port":

  http://swtch.com/plan9port/

Venti is "Write Once Read Many" archival storage server used to store
files hierarchy for example.  On the other hand, Vbackup is used to
store efficiently entire logical volumes from *nix to a Venti server.

But this involves to know a little about Plan 9 concepts, etc.

Nicolas

--
http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/venti.html
http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man8/venti.html