Re: booting Debian-6 in run level 3

Curt wrote:
On 2012-01-13, Bijoy Lobo <bijoy.lobo@paladion.net> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have read online that Debian Squeeze has no differentiation in runlevels
from 2-5, although I would like to boot my debian box in CLI mode. Any way
I can achieve this?

For me the easiest way to boot into the cli is to either disable or
remove your display manager.

For gdm3, for instance, you could disable that puppy:

update-rc.d -f gdm3 remove

Next reboot you'll be in the console (I believe).

Then you can

startx

to start X.  That's the way I lived for many years.

Or you can:

service gdm3 start

if you want your display manager back for your X session.

You can always bring gdm3 back from the dead:

update-rc.d gdm3 defaults

I think that's the way it works, anyway.  Feels cludgy, but some of the other
"solutions" feel cludgy too.

When there was a *true* multi-seat option, meaning 1 box with more than 1 keyboard/mouse/display, there was a reason for a display manager (gdm), the first X had VT consoles and the others did not and were enabled through GDM.

That option has disappeared with the "improved" GDM3 and thus the need for GDM3 itself has gone. Each user logs in as user and does 'startx'.

Hugo