Re: booting Debian-6 in run level 3

On Vi, 13 ian 12, 12:13:52, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 04:21:11PM +0530, Bijoy Lobo wrote:
> >    Hi Everyone,
> >
> >    I have read online that Debian Squeeze has no differentiation in runlevels
> >    from 2-5, although I would like to boot my debian box in CLI mode. Any way
> >    I can achieve this?
>
> Out of the box, this is true, but it is considered acceptable for system
> maintainers to alter the runlevels.
>
> First of all, you need to determine which Display Manager you're using
> to start graphical mode. Usually this will be gdm or gdm3, but might be
> kdm, xdm or something else. Find the init-script for that service
> (/etc/init.d/gdm3, for example). At the top of the script you will find
> a comment:
>
>  # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
>
> Change this to read:
>
>  # Default-Start:     2 4 5
>
> Next up, find the link to that script in /etc/rc3.d (it will be SXXgdm3
> for example, were XX is a number). Delete that symlink.

This will work, but it is not the recommended way. As far as I know,
under Sys V, the canonical method to disable a service in a specific
runlevel is to rename the S link to a K link (plus some juggling with
sequence numbers, which is obsolete with insserv). There is no need to
edit init scripts.

I rather recommend sysv-rc-conf (but there are other tools like it) or
even update-rc.d (there are examples in the man page).

Kind regards,
Andrei