Re: virtual interfaces not routing properly.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 03:48:56PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > Bob Proulx a écrit :

[cut]
> Eventually when ifupdown has migrated it will be doing vitually the
> same thing as the above.  It will simply be doing it internally.
> Previous versions of 'ifupdown' called ifconfig.  Newer versions of
> ifupdown call 'ip'.
>
> > IMHO it would be much better to upgrade ifupdown, for example by
> > allowing the 'address' option to contain several
> > address/prefixlength values, or multiple 'address' options.
>
> That would be fine with me.  Go for it!

Just a little "me too" for the idea of multiple "address" lines per
iface stanza.

This is particularly useful with IPv6, when one is usually does have
several addresses associated with an interface (link local for one, but
when issued a /64 or /48, it's sometimes useful to use a number of them
on one interface).

There are a number of  long-standing bugs raised against ifupdown
(#168776, #464562 and #496591) which relate to this.

--
Darac Marjal