Re: smtp/postfix/sasl/openssh headaches

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:06:56AM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 11.01.2012 22:41, Tony Baldwin:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:13:53PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
> >> Stop and/or uninstall sendmail (or whatever this process might belong to).
> > I do not have sendmail installed.
>
> Then stop/uninstall the software that listens on port 25 and thus
> prevents postfix of doing so.
>
> > $ sudo aptitude remove sendmail
> > NUCLEAR LAUNCH CODE:
> > No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> > 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
> >
> > My understanding is that postfix has something with the same name.
>
> Yes, it's the command line interface to the mail system and it's called
> "sendmail" because of sendmail compatibility. But postfix' sendmail
> binary never listens on any network socket. The postfix process that
> does is called "master".

I have this resolved now (I'm now writing to the list from mail on said server,
over imap with mutt at home).
I figured this out, sort of, before your message, but what I did makes more sense now.

I did see "sendmail" listening on port 25 (lsof -i :25), but didn't have sendmail installed,
which was confusing (exim4 was on by default, but removed when I installed postfix,
but sendmail?), but I killed -9 the pid for sendmail and restarted postfix.
Then lsof -i :25 showed "master" listening on that port, as you say.
And now all seems to be working as it should (or as I expected it should).

> Is your mail server going to be accessible from an untrusted network/the
> internet?

Yes. It is hosting websites, a gopher site, and, now, e-mail.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time