Re: smtp/postfix/sasl/openssh headaches

On Mi, 11 ian 12, 16:41:33, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > > but according to lsof and netstat, as far as I can tell, the only
> > > thing using port 25 is the smtp server.
> >
> > "The" smtp server is obviously not "the" stmp server you think it is.
> >
> > > sudo lsof -i :25
> > > COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
> > > sendmail- 10742 root    3u  IPv4  14207      0t0  TCP localhost.localdomain:smtp (LISTEN)
>
> My understanding is that postfix has something with the same name.

From my box (squeeze and postfix):

# lsof -i :25
COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
master  12339 root   12u  IPv4 631016      0t0  TCP localhost:smtp (LISTEN)

Something is listening to port 25, but it is not postfix. Please run

aptitude search ~Pmail-transport-agent~i

on your box. If the only result is "postfix" and you can't think of any
other software on your machine that might listen to port 25 I would
suspect a rootkit :(

Kind regards,
Andrei