Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On 2011-06-24 19:57 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> While menu.lst has some lines, grub.cfg has tons of lines and using
> GRUB2 with comfort, we need to edit grub.cfg manually ...

Having switched to grub2 recently, I do that as well.  But I suspect
most people will be content with the simpler configuration options
offered by editing /etc/default/grub and running update-grub.

Oh, and my grub.cfg is not longer than menu.lst.  The shell scripts in
/etc/grub.d put quite a lot of stuff into the file that isn't really
necessary.

> and well, always backup grub.cfg

If you want to edit it manually, that's always a good idea.  Even
better, put it under version control.

> since several packages will re-edit it.

That's easy to avoid, just put the editing script aside:

# dpkg-divert --add --rename /usr/sbin/update-grub
# ln -s /bin/true /usr/sbin/update-grub

> Wow, I'm not the only troll ;).

I have shied away from grub2 for many years due to its perceived
complexity, but if you don't use all the bells and whistles it is not
really any more complicated than grub1.  The biggest problem is still
the meager documentation, but grub1's manual was not stellar either.

Sven