Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On Ma, 01 mar 11, 05:15:36, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> There are examples besides OpenOffice.  For example, we are eagerly
> awaiting Iceweasel/Firefox 3.6 because the HTML5 support will finally
> allow multiple attachments at once in Zimbra Web Client (if I understand
> it correctly).  PDF editing is a nightmare in Linux but we do want to
> stay abreast on the very promising pdf import in OO, well, I guess that
> is OO.  There are also library issues.  In our environment, networked
> sound was essential and we needed newer pulseaudio libraries.  webDAV,
> calDAV, and cardDAV support was necessary for Zimbra so we needed newer
> versions of Evolution and KDEPIM.  Ah, yes, knew there was more about
> PDF - even PDF readers in Linux are a problem for very complicated
> documents so we needed newer versions of acroread.  I think that's about
> all we found - John

Are these issues still valid for squeeze? Do you expect some or even all
to go away with the release of wheezy?

I don't have experience as a sysadmin, but considering the size of your
shop, did you consider investing resources in helping Debian with
packaging newer versions of software (wherever this is possible/makes
sense), so that you don't have this issue for the next release?

Regards,
Andrei