Re: weired problem around grub2

Hello,

Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 06:27:02 +0100, Geronimo wrote:
> > But I can't state, whether grub-install puts a wrong pointer into mbr or
> > whether the drive order changed on reboot and grub is not able to
> > resolve the target of that pointer. One of the three causes troubles.
>
> The former would give you no GRUB menu at all, the latter will present
> the GRUB menu and then fail with some kind of error.

OK, that the former happens - I don't get a menue at all.

> > So if you have any hints/testcases - I'm willing to test, but I don't by
> > myself what to do to locate the error.
>
> You can try to "chainload" the failed GRUB (boot from the GRUB that works
> and then call the GRUB that fails). Yes, I know you are planning to
> remove the new partition to make room for windows, but this is just for
> testing purposes :-)

Bah - don't worry about my windows plans at all ;)
They don't have any relevance.
I'll need windows in may be two months or so - no hurry at all.

> And you can't "boot" neither from SGD?

Who drunk you coke? ;)
- Sorry, what's SGD? I'm not habitated to acronyms at all.

No matter how I do it - when I install grub from an active partition 2, than
grub shows a menue at reboot and I can boot into both partitions (depending on
my selection)
When I install grub from partition 1, grub will not show a menue at reboot.

kind regards

Gero