[SOLVED] (argh) "Could not perform immediate configuration"

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 07:11:40PM -0500, Jeff Gordon wrote:
> Hi, Folks --
>
> I decided to go ahead and try upgrading to Wheezy on this laptop (Acer Aspire
> 5250, gift for my sister) to see if any of the three previously mentioned
> problems might clear.  Now I'm stuck at "Could not perform immediate
> configuation on 'libgstreamer0.10-0'."  I've gone through the man page twice
> and checked the example configurations, where it says "Do not set this to
> 'false', see man page" and have no idea how to get past this blockage --
> 'purge' wants to remove half the system, "apt-get -f" only returns the
> same error message, etc.  Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Solved, thanks to kindly user Karl Fogel who wrote me off-list.  This procedure
is what did it:

 apt-get update
 apt-get install gnome
 apt-get -f install  (had to do that about three times before full success)
 apt-get -f dist-upgrade

This got me past the 'libgstreamer' problem and on to full upgrade from
Squeeze to Wheezy, which I was doing in hopes it might help with other
problems I'd been having (black screen on Resume, squashed images on display,
and unable to transfer more than 32k).  This upgrade _did_ immediately solve
the "squashed images" problem -- Gnome's System Settings now offers sensible
resolution choices for the size of the laptop's screen (15.4 inches wide).

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."