Re: Re: Detach Icedove from xterm itself called from terminal.

and in reply to Iuri Guilherme dos Santos Martins, Paul Isambert wrote:
> Thank you Iuri, but the terminal still stays open.
>
> What I want to do is the following: I have a Lua script which lets me
> selects programs, then calls them with "os.execute(<program>)", and the
> terminal where the Lua script runs closes too. Only with Icedove it
> stays attached, so I'm trying very hard to detach it so the terminal can
> close.

Hi Paul,

I've obviously misunderstood your intention (I thought you wanted to
keep the second (and possibly the first) terminal open at an
interactive prompt).

It looks easier now.
I don't know anything about Lua, but searching around suggests that
os.execute executes its command in a shell, not directly. In that case
you should be able to use a command like

  icedove &

but if that causes icedove to be closed immediately, you could try

  nohup icedove &

Note I can't test any of this because I don't have LUA installed.

I hope this helps. Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

--
Cheers,
Clive