AW: Synaptic 0.70: reporting wrong status for package?

Title: AW: Synaptic 0.70: reporting wrong status for package?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Joost Kraaijeveld [mailto:J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl]
Gesendet: Mi 11/30/2011 10:08
An: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Betreff: Synaptic 0.70: reporting wrong status for package?

Hi,

Synaptic displays all packages in the "status" overview as one of "auto
removable", "local or obsolete" and "manual". But I do not have any
packages locally or manually installed: I always use Synaptic or apt-get
to do so. Also, removing some of the "auto removable" would result in
removing applications and libraries that are not marked as "auto
removable". The same applies tot "local or obsolete": it results in a
cascaded removal of packages.

Does Synaptic display the wrong status? Or do the descriptions not cover
the meaning? Can I check somehow what the status of a packed is outside
Synaptic?

I am running Debian Testing AMD64, latest updates as for today applied.

TIA

---

You can remove the 'auto removable' information. Perhaps you need an 'auto removable' package, that once was installed as a dependency for something you don't need anymore, e.g. you might need such a package for development or just compiling. You can check it using apt ;), but the result should be the same as for Synaptic ;). Be careful with removing packages, when apt tells you, that some packages aren't needed anymore. This tool is far away of being perfect. Since my Debian testing is broken at the moment, the latest upgrades are buggy, I'm now booted to Suse, so I don't have access to apt right now. Anyway, Google (usually is an enemy), but for such cases, it's your friend.

- Ralf