Issues since upgrading testing 2011-Nov-29

Hi :)

the most important issue is, that the USB mouse cursor can't be moved
after the login manager GDM3 is launched. I booted in recovery mode and
got the latest upgrades, but they didn't solve the issue.

Now I'm booted to another Linux.

If I backup /home, I could recover testing from a backup I made
yesterday and then add /home from today.

A less important problem for the moment is, that I'm able to boot a self
made 2.6.39.1 preempt with threadirqs set, but when I boot the Debian's
2.6.39-2-amd64, I get a black screen. I suspect that the
nvidia-173.14.30 driver package that I kept (it's dropped for testing)
now cause issues when building modules. I had some voodoo when I tried
to build headers for kernel 3.0.9-rt25 today.

Anyway, the mouse cursor was ok, this has nothing to do with tries to
build and install kernel headers. The last startup was around 14:00
German time, then I only upgraded, received emails and used a browser,
shutdown and with the next startup the cursor freeze. The mouse and USB
hardware is ok, Edubuntu 10.10 still is working without issues.

Fortunately synaptic has got a history, unfortunately I don't know the
name of the file containing this information.

Hm? I'll test a PS/2 mouse. I already bought the USB mouse because
Debian dropped the mouse wheel support for my PS/2 mouse.

I guess I'll switch to Arch Linux, anyway, hints how to repair this new
USB mouse cursor issue are still welcome. I prefer not to restore it
from the backup.

IMO Debian switched to a strange policy. It was my preferred distro, I
just had a short break when 64 Studio switched from Debian to Ubuntu.
When I came back to Debian in May nearly everything was still the old
faithful Debian way, but during the last 1/2 year Debian testing became
a PITA. Especially that they dropped the xserver nv package and the
proprietary Nvidia package that automatically build modules for Debian
kernels and self build kernels is a PITA. I kept those packages.
Switching to Xfce seems not to protect me against issues that might be
caused by upgrades for GNOME.

Cheers!

Ralf