Re: Full Disk Encryption

Am Samstag, 26. November 2011 schrieb J. Bakshi:
> Hello,
>
> I am always interested in Full disk encryption for my laptop ( i5 + 3
> GB ), but what makes me stop is the thinking of performance lag.
> Recently I have seen an ububtu laptop ( i5 + 4 GB ) with full disk
> encryption and it is performing normal, haven't found any lag...
>
> So I am interested to give the FUD a try on my own laptop. How can I
> proceed ? My laptop is debian wheezy with lots of important data.. so
> backup is must.. but what next ? What configuration will give me a
> better performance , LVM based or simple partition based ? Presently
> excluding swap I have 3 reiserfs partition for / ; /home and /movie
> ... no LVM. Like to hear some feedback from you guys..

I still use encfs for that. It seems to be some performance hit, but thats
to be expected for FUSE filesystems. I´d like to migrate to ecryptfs. I am
not to sure about block based approach on SSDs, but then I heard dm-crypt
can pass-through trim requests - although there is a blog that this has
its own share of issues somewhere.

So for dm-crypt there are others to advice better than I.

But I do recommend switching reiserfs 3 to ext4 for example. Now if you
use reiser4, but I wouldn´t recommend this either.

Not primarily cause of the fame of reiserfs 3 being a data eater - I never
seen reiserfs corrupting data myself, however I did not use it for long.
But:

1) ReiserFS 3 is not actively developed anymore. Reiser 4 is unlikely to
become a part of the official Linux kernel IMHO.

2) ReiserFS 3 has high mount times on large partitions.

3) ReiserFS 3 AFAIK does not distinguish between data structures of
*different* ReiserFS filesystems. So when you have a ReiserFS fs that
carries a virtual machine image file with ReiserFS in the guest as well, it
may well be, that a fsck on the host will mix up the filesystems altogether
and break more than it repairs.

I also think that performance wise it doesn´t make sense to use ReiserFS 3
anymore.

Ciao,