Re: KDE activities

Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011 schrieb Alan Chandler:
> With the problems I seem to be having with Gnome3 (not the problem that
> most people have with the shell, which I like - but other applications
> which seem to have become flakey - Gedit crashes on closing a tab,
> Nautilus FTP doesn't seem to work half the time, issues I have been
> discussing here about the applications launched with file associations
> ...) I decided to give KDE 4 another try (I had switched to Gnome from
> KDE when KDE 4 was first introduced).
>
> I am struggling with the concepts behind Activities, Desktops,
> Workspaces and Screens.  This is not helped by the fact that I am
> trying to follow the advice from various web pages - but I don't seem
> to see what I should see.
>
> In particular - I use Super Q to bring up the activities manager pane.
> This shows I have two activities both named "New Activity".  I should
> then right click on a desktop and select "Desktop Settings" I should
> see a window with the left pane having three options "Wallpaper",
> "Activity" and "Mouse Actions".  Instead I see a window with only two
> options, "View" and "Mouse Actions".
>
> Have I not installed something I should have? or has this changed and
> all these web pages are out of date?

I found some more:

7 ways to switch activities
http://hanschen.org/2011/05/15/7-ways-to-switch-activities/

Switching via mouse gestures rock ;)

I also installed the Activity Manager plasmoid from source. Locks quite
nice.

I did not yet try this one

Switch to specific activities with keyboard shortcuts
http://hanschen.org/2011/05/20/switch-to-specific-activities-with-keyboard-
shortcuts/

cause thats a bit cumbersone to configure.

Thats one of the current shortcomings: Better ways to switch between
activities.

But now lets see what you make out of it. I hope to hear from your
experiences.

BTW for additional help you might want to ask on debian kde mailing list
as well.

Ciao,