Re: Re: SATA disc spindown

Ramon Hofer wrote:

Wasn't able to have a closer look at the links but it seems as if I had
to use Windows to run WDIDLE3.exe to change a firmware setting. I assume
I can do this on an other PC and then move the disc back to the server?

Actually this is an MS-DOS binary, which might complicate things for you if you no longer have a working dos environment like a bootable floppy or a stick installation. This is why I posted the wiki link: the article explains how to create a bootable freedos image with the exe included. Since I still had a working MS-DOS 6.22 floppy I used that one, but the wiki howto ("Verwendung von FreeDOS") looks straightforward to me as well.

The binary archive can be downloaded from the wd support site [1] there is a text file inside that explains the update procedure.

[1] http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5357

Do you have any advices about the Samsung drives in the mdadm raid? Can I
put them to sleep normally or do I have to tell mdadm that it has to spin
down the drives?

This seems to be a controversial topic - some people report no problems with md raid standby, some disagree because mdraid does not handle it well should one array member sleep and another member doesn't.

Maybe you can choose a solution where you unmount the array before you put them to sleep, just to be on the save side? I never used this, since I prefer to shutdown a server on inactivity, and wake it up again using WOL or acpi wakeup.

Good Luck!

Lou