Graphics corruption with Radeon X1270 (RS690M)

So I wanted to activate video acceleration on my Gateway LT3119U netbook,
which uses the Radeon X1270 chipset (RS690M). I installed the package
firmware-linux-nonfree and restarted X.

Before the upgrade, GNOME3 reported that it couldn't fully activate because
of my system's limitations. Afterward it activated and immediately corrupted
the video horribly. I switched to a "fallback" session, which will remain
uncorrupted for up to two minutes before becoming corrupted somewhat less
horribly. Then I tried Openbox, which takes a few minutes longer to corrupt,
then becomes utterly unreadable.

See screenshots here:  http://panix.com/~carlf/files

Short of reverting to unaccelerated video, any suggestions? I'm running
Debian Wheezy, above system with 2 gigabytes of RAM, using the AMD64 kernel.
LSPCI reports:

root@cf-gw:~# lspci | grep -i vga
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]

No xorg.conf at the moment.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!