Re: NCID with no rcS.d

Arno Schuring wrote:

> lrhorer (lrhorer@satx.rr.com on 2011-11-24 03:38 -0600):
>> OK, so here's the deal.  I compiled and installed ncid on one of my
>> Debian servers  Everything seems to be working just fine.  There's
>> one small item, though.  When I took the init scripts and ran
>> update-rc.d, it gave me a warning saying "stop runlevel arguments (0
>> 1 6) do not match LSB Default-Stop values (S 0 1 6)".  When I looked
>> at the scripts, they have the line
>>
>> # Default-Stop:      S 0 1 6
>>
> [..]
>> First of all, why did the routine put up that warning and fail to
>> create the links?
> insserv doesn't create the links unless explicitly asked to do so. By
> default (as it's called from dpkg), it only determines start/stop
> ordering.
>
> I'm not sure how those links are populated initially. It could be that
> the package provides them, and is missing that one link.

The package didn't provide them, I did.  This was compiled from source
and then I ran update-rc.d:

RAID-Server:/etc/init.d# update-rc.d ncidd.init defaults
update-rc.d: warning: ncidd.init stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (S 0 1 6)
 Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/ncidd.init ...
   /etc/rc0.d/K20ncidd.init -> ../init.d/ncidd.init
   /etc/rc1.d/K20ncidd.init -> ../init.d/ncidd.init
   /etc/rc6.d/K20ncidd.init -> ../init.d/ncidd.init
   /etc/rc2.d/S20ncidd.init -> ../init.d/ncidd.init
   /etc/rc3.d/S20ncidd.init -> ../init.d/ncidd.init
   /etc/rc4.d/S20ncidd.init -> ../init.d/ncidd.init
   /etc/rc5.d/S20ncidd.init -> ../init.d/ncidd.init

> To restore the defaults, run:
> # insserv -vd ncid

Those are the defaults, unless I am missing something.

>>  Secondly, what is the potential operational
>> impact, here?
> Virtually none. You're only missing the kill script that affects
> runlevel transitions into runlevel S (iiuc). That transition will
> never happen unless you do it manually, and most people reboot into S,
> not telinit into it.

You're right.  I didn't think about that.

>> It seems to me this will cause a dirty shutdown of the
>> ncid processes, although I'm not sure how really heinous that would
>> be.
> No, shutdown and reboot are runlevels 0 and 6 respectively. That will
> still work.

Oh, right.