Re: Howto upgrade perl without removing everything

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:09:20 +0000
Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 15:03 +0000, Richard wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Playing dangerously with Sid, and I've reached the limit of what it will upgrade to
> > without some help.
> > Nearly everything has a dependency on perl, the perl version has change, so how do just upgrade the
> > perl base.
> > I can't see the equivalent of rpm --nodeps in apt-get, and clean up the mess afterwards.
>
> Just to make this better known to people on the mailing lists as well ...
>
> Perl is currently in the transition from 5.12 to 5.14 and an overview of this
> particular transition [0] can be seen on [1] and of all other transitions on
> [2]. It should be quite obvious that the plethora of red in there is bad and
> that we strive to paint this page in green. More specifically all reverse
> dependencies have to be rebuilt againt the new perl version and uploaded to
> sid and this might take a while.
>
> The best strategy right now is *not* to upgrade perl-base (et al.) to 5.14,
> but wait until the transition progressed a bit. The easiest way is probably
> to run "(safe-)upgrade" instead of "dist-upgrade" right now and to cherry-pick
> other (unrelated, but held) packages directly.
>
> I can only stress once again that it is of uttermost importance to actually
> read and understand the actions that are proposed by apt-get/aptitude ... You
> might wonder why I mention this, but we already had a couple of people in
> #debian who complained that apt-get removed their kernel. (sic!)
>
> Furthermore there might still be people who *already* upgraded to the new perl
> version and face a horrible mess right now. There are a couple of ways to deal
> with this:
>
> 1. Reinstall stable, consider the lesson to be learnt and work on something
>    more important
> 2. Restore from backups
> 3. Downgrade selected packages to either the version in wheezy or the previous
>    version. This can be done with "dpkg -i", but using aptitude install
>    foo=1.2.3 or by pinning [3] the packages to a specific version with a
>    priority >= 1001 followed by a dist-upgrade. (which will actually downgrade
>    the packages)
> 4. Downgrade the complete system to wheezy. The idea is more or less the same
>    as in 3. only that you downgrade all packages from sid to wheezy. This can
>    be done by pinning wheezy to a priority >= 1001 as, for example, with the
>    following /etc/apt/preferences:

Thanks for the transition tracker url, I'll watch that closely.
I'll be very interested when python 2.7 is finished , I suspect I have some apps that will bork
on it.
Luckily I didn't get caught with my kernel, just the mailer which was quickly reinstalled.

cheers

--
Best wishes / 73
Richard Bown

e-mail: richard@g8jvm.com   or   richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk

nil carborundum a illegitemis
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Debian Wheezy amd64 on a Dual core AMD Athlon 5200, 4 GB RAM
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs mins )
QRV HF + VHF Microwave 23 cms:140W,13 cms:100W,6 cms:10W & 3 cms:5W