Re: GNOME3 Ugh! What specifically didn't work.

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:41:46 -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> Hi, all:
>
> What an appalling piece of crap is GNOME3!

I just did an innocent routine upgrade, and an eminently usable gnome 2
turned into a mess.  Instead of writing my novel, I spent the rest of the
evening trying to figure out how to use it, and gave up.  It seemed to be
bent on showing me how with it and exciting it was, instead of just being
in the background and letting me focus on my work.

There's no way to minimize a window.  I can slide my browser off to the
side when I don't want to look at it, but it insists in covering half my
screen anyway.  There's no task bar.  No convenient place I can click to
instantly switch to another window.  How am I supposed to be efficient
with this thing?

(IMNSHO anyway.)  So I
> installed xfce4 (the metapackage which installs all the basics and some
> extras).

I gave up and installed KDE4.

Then I switched to icewm.  Peace at last, though a few things aren't
quite as convenient.  Following the Debian menu to an actual program goes
through a lot of submenus before I get to it.

-- hendrik