Re: Networking starts disabled (using Ethernet card)

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:44:58 +0000, John Hudson wrote:

> I'm more or less a beginner with Linux but have installed Debian Squeeze
> on another PC successfully; on this one, networking shows "Disconnected"
> after every boot (logging on as a standard user, not 'root') and I can
> only get the built-in Ethernet card to connect by disabling wired
> networking and then re- enabling. As I want to use the machine as a
> server, this is pretty useless to me - the intention is to use it
> without a monitor in the long-term, which means it won't work at all as
> things are.

Despite the message, is the network available, I mean, can you browse the
web? If yes, check if this applies:

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager#Wired_Networks_are_Unmanaged

Also, run "/sbin/ifconfig; ip ro" and put here the output.

Anyway, if you plan to use your computer as a server, I would configure
the system to use the old method ("legacy network connection") for
setting up the network instead NetworkManager.

> The PC is connected to my router via a CAT5 cable and a Netgear
> Powerline adaptor (the same as the older Dell PC that connected at boot
> without any problems). The puzzling bit is that the network obviously
> worked during installation (booting from a Debian Squeeze setup CD), as
> various bits of extra software were downloaded.
>
> Any thoughts on how I can get the machine to connect to the network
> automatically on boot?

Debian network documentation is very good and worth reading:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón