Re: Best mount point for shared files

Am Donnerstag, 13. Oktober 2011 schrieb Alois Mahdal:
[...]
> Hi,

Hi Alois,

>    I have a server from which I want to share files via multiple
> protocols--so far it's HTTP and SMB.  The files do not reside
> on the server, they are mounted from other server via NFS. I was
> wondering: where to put the files?  Which is the most "Debian"
> way?
>
>    For example, I'm mounting these NFS shares to "serve":
>
>      storage:/srv/nfs/applications
>      storage:/srv/nfs/samples
>      storage:/srv/nfs/tools
>
>    I'm planning that all of them will available (to Windows stations
> connected to "serve") as:
>
>      http://serve/applications/
>      http://serve/samples/
>      http://serve/tools/
>      \\serve\applications\
>      \\serve\samples\
>      \\serve\tools\
>
>    (All shares will be read-only.  It's an isolated environment
> for testing, there's no need to have access policy--anyone can
> read, no-one can write.)
>

> A) According to FHS, I should put them in /srv/smb/ for SMB
> and /srv/http/ for HTTP.  But that would mean mounting each FS
> to two mountpoints.  Sounds confusing to me...is it normal? Are
> there any caveats with having one FS in two mountpoints?
>

> B) I have noticed that Apache2 has, by default, DocumentRoot set
> to /var/www/.  Does this mean that Apache expects me to have main
> storage here?  (I know I can change DocumentRoot, but I'm trying
> to learn from default settings... .-D)  Actually I'd expect to
> store only index.html and such (there will be some of these).

The FHS suggests /srv for such kind of files and I tend to use it. I am not
sure about sub directories to use in /srv. I use /srv/www for my Apache 2
virtual hosts, in one directory per domain. I create another directory in
there for document root and have a symlink in there point to
/var/log/domain for the log files. I have also used /srv/nfs for nfs
exports. For mounts a directory under /mnt might be more approbiate.

In the end you can choose what you like. But I tend to think that /srv is
more suitable than stuffing files serviced by services.

You could use:

- /mnt/nfs for the nfs mount
- a symlink /srv/smb to /mnt/nfs for the smb export
- a symlink from /srv/http to /mnt/nfs for apache served files

Instead of a symlink you could use a bind mount as well. At work we used
bind mounts to make nfs mounts on a v-server host available to v-server
guests whose images were stored in sub directory trees. Worked like a
charm. But the customer used "/data" for own data and so we sub
directories in there. Works as well. At last its all just a convention.

I am not sure, but sharing files via Samba that were mounted via NFS might
pose some problems. At least I heard that stacking NFS this way might have
its problems. But I am not sure about that.

Ciao,