Re: USB NICs latest compatibility?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:45:15 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

> I just wanted to ask quickly before I order a USB NIC: are there any
> major issues with USB NICs with Squeeze?

I'd say that, as always happens in such situations, chipset is the key.

> I have a great little machine that is only the size of a box of
> chocolates and it only has one NIC, so to make it into a gateway machine
> for my LAN, I'll need a NIC on a USB interface.
>
> I see from the archives here that there's no real problem mentioned
> since 2004, but then I figure they're not that common. Hopefully this is
> a totally unnecessary question, but most of my experience with NICs
> comes from prior to 2004.... I can't find an equivalent to the TDLP.org
> hardware compatibility how-to.
>
> Maybe anyone who's using a USB NIC can recommend a manufacturer. That
> would be great.

I would browse the web for a more updated information on these devices.
For instance, this guy have done a small list of USB to ethernet devices
that work in linux:

http://free-electrons.com/blog/usbeth/

(yep, it does not mention a specific linux version but at least you can
use it as start point...)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón