Re: Unix Time Zone Format

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 08:16:32PM +1000, Weaver wrote:
> This Intellectual property rubbish is beginning to make me angry.
> What now?
> Are we expected, each and everyone of us, supposed to pay a stipend to
> some johnny-come-lately opportunist?

Not necessarily. That is why we have courts to decide these things. If
the court decides that Johnny Come-Lately (herein referred to as Mr
Come-Lately) does own the intellectual property, then yes. In this case,
Debian would likely have to drop the relevant package(s) and seek some
other source of the data.

If, however, the court decides that Mr Come-Lately doesn't have a claim
or that the time-zone data wasn't infringing, then no, I see no reason
to pay someone for something they have no right to request payment for.

However, the nice thing about the system is the ability to challenge
such claims. Be thankful you live in a world with such freedoms.

--
Darac Marjal