Re: What is missing for encfs to work?

> How can I see my kernel config.  Kernel was selected at install, and
> must not have been selected for /proc/Config.gz to be available.  At
> least there is no such file.
>
> I'd like to know if fuse was selected.

Sorry I let that message get away before I'd written most of it.

  ,----
  |   uname -r
  |  3.0.0-1-686-pae
  `----

I just realized I could answer my first question by looking in
/lib/modules.

  ,----
  |  find . -name '*.ko'|grep fuse
  |
  | ./3.0.0-1-686-pae/kernel/fs/fuse/cuse.ko
  | ./3.0.0-1-686-pae/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
  `----

And I have fuse pkg and encfs installed.

  dpkg --list |grep fuse

  ii  encfs          1.7.4-2.3      encrypted virtual filesystem
  ii  fuse           2.8.5-5        Filesystem in Userspace
  ii  fuse-utils     2.8.5-5        Filesystem in Userspace [...]
  ii  libfuse2       2.8.5-5        Filesystem in Userspace (library)

  lsmod |grep fuse
  fuse                   56331  1

But where I try to mount an encfs encrypted directory I get this error
message.

   encfs ~/.dir_raw ~/.dir

  EncFS Password:
  fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied
  fuse failed.  Common problems:
  - fuse kernel module not installed (modprobe fuse)
  - invalid options -- see usage message

Is /dev/fuse something I am supposed to make by hand or should it be
present already?