chrooted SFTP and FTP with writable root?

Hi list,

(Please CC me, I'm not subscribed)

I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to be able to chroot a certain
user into its home directory (eg. /home/test) with both SFTP and FTP,
the user does not need shell access, but others do.
Software involved is vsftp and openssh, I have a working setup which
chroots the user into its home directory correctly, but this setup
requires that directory to be owned by root (and group root) and with
only write permissions on the owner (an openssh requirement).
This effectively prevents a client from writing directly into the
directory, so only subdirectories are writable. Changing the permissions
or (group)ownership of the home directory fixes it for ftp but causes
sftp (ssh) access to be denied.

Does anyone have something similar where both sftp and ftp access is
enabled to a chroot, and writable, not just subdirectories?

I used this [1] guide in setting up the sftp chroot. Only changed the
"Match group" to "Match User"

Kind regards,
Steven

[1] http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/590