Re: cron on a system without a hardware persistant clock

Camaleón wrote:
> David Goodenough wrote:
> > I then set the time using NTP once I have a network connection -
> > wireless as it happens and therefore not entirely predictable in how
> > quickly it will connect.
>
> Mmm... I would be careful with this, NTP may refuse to sync if the offset
> between current/real date and system date is too wide.

That used to be true with older versions of Debian when there was a
separate 'ntpdate' package.  'ntpdate' would be run to step the clock
before starting the 'ntp' daemon.  If you only ran 'ntp' then if the
time were too far off (1000s) then ntpd would simply refuse as a
sanity check and exit.  So you used to need to use ntpdate or other
first before ntp.

But recent versions of Debian combined those two packages.  Now there
is only the one single combined 'ntp' package and it will step the
clock as needed when it starts up.  This behavior is accomplished
through the 'ntpd -g' option set in the /etc/default/ntp file.

Bob