Re: No iceweasel support for google+

On 23/09/11 00:33, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 02:28:34PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:16:56 +0100
>> Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Darac,
>>
>>>  3. Accept that google don't "support" the browser, accept that any
>>>     breakages are your own responsibility and continue to use the site
>>> 	(This may also involve contacting google to let you past the
>>
>> Not an option;  With an "unsupported browser, you can't even log in.
>
> Yes. Sadly Google's idea of "support" isn't quite the same as everyone
> else's. An unsupported browser should mean that you CAN use it, but
> they'll not help you if you find that all the text is suddenly upside
> down or whatever. Unsupported should not equal banned (I'm not saying a
> browser shouldn't be banned, just that one is not the other).

I just tried using Iceweasel 3.5.16 - no problems.
I don't doubt others are getting warning (I didn't try games).
Maybe this is a geographic thing (I'm in Australia) - or maybe there are
different versions/settings in Google+ at play (mine are, an original
trial, and a business account).

I also get a warning in Gmail about Iceweasel 3x - changing the
browseragent to 6+ removes the warning with no loss of functionality.
The official Google reason (for gmail) is to encourage users of older
versions of Firefox to upgrade due to security issues. Iceweasel users
don't have that problem as Debian backports security fixes - so they can
ignore the warnings in gmail without changing the browseragent.

The HTML5/javascript support requirements theory for Google+ sounds
reasonable. Maybe someone could pose the question on the Google+ peoples
blog/Google+ account.

Cheers

--
"As if growing wasn't hard enough - I had a genius for an older brother.
I'd say "I don't have to do anything!" and he'd say