Re: Device node for external camera

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:14:18 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> I have an external IP camera which serves video at
> http://192.168.1.20/mjpeg.cgi. Actually I have 5 of them with different
> IPs, but that's beside the point... :-)
>
> I want to use the program "motion" for motion detection. However it
> requires input from a device node such as /dev/video0.
>
> How can I create such a device node so that it corresponds to my IP
> camera?

I would first check if yoru device is supported by "motion" and given that
your are using a network camera, this may help:

How do I use my Network Camera with motion?
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#How_do_I_use_my_Network_Camera_with_motion_63

Motion Guide - Basic Features
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/MotionGuideBasicFeatures#Network_Cameras

Greetings,