Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 22:54:54 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
 [snip]
> But the cleaning of the package cache only removed ~ 2.3 GB. And summing up
> the above listed disk usage makes only appr. 10 GB.
> So were do the other 20 GB come from?
> I would like to see the output of
>
>   du -hx --max-depth=1 / | sort -h

Oh, Father Christmas, my blessings on you fall, for bringing him a big, red,
India rubber ball!

Thank you so much, all of you for your extreme patience and helpful attitude.
This really is a *super* list.

This is better than an India rubber ball, even a big, red one.  I now have
loads of space in a partition that is never as much as 10GB, and still have
some cruft which I intend to cull, having had it pointed out to me by you
lot.

I didn't know about the --max-depth=1 option, and my attempts to do this
without the depth limit gave me so much overkill, that I couldn't see the
wood for the trees.  I even got as far as realising that Distros were in some
way implicated, without the penny dropping.  Doh! :-(

I now know why the system did not warn me - it didn't get a chance.  I knocked
it right up by 22G all in one fell swoop.  I ought to have realised that this
was the problem.  I won't embarrass myself by telling you what I thought I
had done.  I have put myself in a corner with a dunce's cap on.

See below for my recent activity.

Now I shall get down to using all the other suggestions.  There is still some
cruft to be explored.

Lisi

Tux:/home/lisi# du -hx --max-depth=1 / | sort -h
sort: invalid option -- h
Try `sort --help' for more information.
Tux:/home/lisi# du -hx --max-depth=1 / | sort -n
0       /dev
0       /proc
0       /sys
3.4M    /root
3.7G    /usr
4.0K    /backup
4.0K    /home
4.0K    /mnt
4.0K    /selinux
4.2M    /bin
6.2M    /sbin
11M     /etc
16K     /lost+found
17M     /boot
23G     /media
27G     /
70M     /lib
87M     /opt
104K    /tmp
200K    /srv
662M    /var
Tux:/home/lisi# du -hx --max-depth=1 /media | sort -n
4.0K    /media/cdrom0
4.0K    /media/cdrom1
4.0K    /media/floppy0
4.0K    /media/sdc2
4.0K    /media/sdc6
4.0K    /media/USB-HDD
22G     /media/sdc1
23G     /media
164M    /media/Distros
Tux:/home/lisi# cd /media/sdc1
Tux:/media/sdc1# ls
Distros
Tux:/media/sdc1# rm -r /media/sdc1/*
Tux:/media/sdc1# cd ..
Tux:/media# cd ..
Tux:/# df -h
/dev/hda1              73G  4.9G   66G   7% /
tmpfs                 745M     0  745M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M  708K  9.4M   7% /dev
tmpfs                 745M     0  745M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1             231G   38G  182G  17% /home
Tux:/#