Re: apt-utility and repos.

On 2011-09-20 21:30 +0200, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Dom wrote:
>> It is slightly confusing that reportbug seems to take into account
>> updates that haven't yet filtered through to the live systems.
>
> It is one of the things I find annoying.  This is default Debian BTS
> behavior and not really reportbug specifically.  Debian has a Stable
> release but all bugs are triaged against Unstable.  As soon as a
> package is uploaded to Unstable that closes a bug then that bug is
> closed regardless of whether it is still active in Stable.  IMNHO it
> should be marked as resolved in Unstable but still open until the fix
> appears in the next Stable release.

I guess this would not work out so well for package maintainers, since
they'd get so see dozens (or in some larger packages, hundreds) of bugs
that have already been resolved.  And in most cases, there is no way to
fix these bugs in stable.

> The BTS operates outside of the
> current Unstable, Testing, Stable release flow and really doesn't know
> about anything but Unstable.

That's definitely not true.  But for stable, only RC bugs really matter
(those do not get archived unless they are fixed in stable).  Bugs that
apply to testing will not get archived unless a fixed version is in
testing.

> Some maintainers will keep bugs open and tag them with the release the
> bug appears in.  (e.g. Tagged squeeze.)  But that is all manual effort
> on the part of the maintainers.

It usually does not make any sense because the BTS tracks package
versions and so the tags are only needed when this is not sufficient.
E.g. when a package has the same version in stable and unstable and due
to other changes in the archive (new default compiler etc.) starts to
FTBFS in unstable.  In this case the bug has to be tagged "wheezy sid"
to indicate that it does not apply to stable.

Sven