Re: Encoder for linux

On 15/09/11 22:31, cosme@esid.gecgr.co.cu wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:06:56 -0400, cosme wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm looking for something similar to Windows Media Encoder Series 9 ES
>>> in Linux.
>>>
>>> I'm use Debian squeeze

Desktop??

<snipped>

> Windows Media Encoder � Microsoft � 9 Series is a powerful tool to convert
> audio production and live or prerecorded video in Windows Media files or
> streams.

[/marketing beep]

> The following section provides conceptual information about the
> coding process and provides the steps to use Windows Media Encoder.

No it doesn't - the internet dog must of eaten it.

> i'm looking for a linux program similar
>
> thanks
> Cosme

Lacking psychic powers I looked up this "Windows Media Encoder"...
seems it's discontinued and has been replaced with the, presumably even
more powerful, Expression Encoder 4. - which is not as powerful, or
convenient as the Expression Encoder 4 Pro! Which can be purchased....

Anyway - upon perusal it's not powerful by Linux standards.... knowing
your chosen desktop whould simplify things.

$ apt-cache search encoder
will give you an idea of the staggering list of choices, whereas the
reference "tool" has only a limited number of codec choices.

Some possible candidates not already suggested:-
Arista, and Nautilus-Arista (Gnome)
Winff (any DE)

For another list look at:-
http://alternativeto.net/software/arista/?platform=linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_multimedia_codecs,_containers,_and_splitters

NOTE: the debian multimedia (used with care) will increase your range of
choices. Perhaps your search might be simplified if you chose an output
codec - and/or an input format.

Cheers

--
"I ascribe to Mark Twain's theory that the last person who should be
President is the one who wants it the most. The one who should be picked