Re: Swap does not mount [swapon failed: Device or resource busy]

Param:

> The swap partition did not mount post-installation (Debian "Squeeze"
> (Xfce)).
> Created a 2nd swap partition, & planned to delete the earlier swap
> partition. The 2nd swap partition doesn't mount either.

Strange. Did you set up encryption as well?

What might help is the output of pvs, vgs and lvs (everything as root or
using sudo). If you cannot think of anything else to try, please remove
swap2 again and document all the steps you take to create it again (all
commands including complete output).

> (Been using Debian (my 1st intro to Linux) for < 3 weeks.

Welcome on board! Using Debian as the first distro is a wise choice. I
did the same and never seriously considered using anything else.

> If
> a) I'm missing any blindingly obvious solution(s)
> b) this post should have been posted under a different topic/forum
>
> then please let me know.)

No, eveyyhing is fine.

> Further info:
> Followed the instructions at http://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/5/RHEL-5-ma ...
> dding.html<http://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/5/RHEL-5-manual/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-swap-adding.html>

Just a general advice: you can save yourself some trouble by preferring
Debian-related documentation. The link above applies to Debian as well,
but with only a few weeks of Linux experience you probably cannot always
tell whether you should be doing something "the Debian way" or not.

> #/dev/mapper/HU-swap none swap sw 0 0
> #2nd_swap
> /dev/mapper/HU-swap2 swap swap defaults 0 0
                       ^^^^      ^^^^^^^^

Your entry for swap2 differs from the entry generated by the installer.
It should still wotrk, though. I just tried it myself.

> (tried /dev/HU/swap2 instead of /dev/mapper/HU-swap2. Did not work.)

/dev/HU/swap2 is just a symlink anyway.

> Output of swapon -s
> Code: Select all <http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70280#> swapon
> on /dev/mapper/HU-swap2
> Filename            Type      Size   Used   Priority
> /dev/dm-3                               partition   2097144   0   42

This looks like you already have active swap. Use 'ls -l /dev/mapper' to
see which LV is /dev/dm3.

> Output of mount /dev/HU/swap2
> mount: mount point none does not exist

You cannot use 'mount' to activate swap. This isn't supposed to work.
Using 'swapon' is correct.

J.
--
Ultimately, the Millenium Dome is a spectacular monument of the
doublethink of our times.