From: "debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org" <debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org>
To: debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
Sent: Thursday, 15 September 2011 1:53 PM
Subject: debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1691

undefineddebian-user-digest Digest                Volume 2011 : Issue 1691

Today's Topics:
  USB ACM vs USB memory device conflic  [ "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge ]
  Console access using F1 etc          [ John Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com ]
  Re: Console access using F1 etc      [ Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> ]
  Re: Free drivers for AMD Radeon (Vai  [ Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> ]
  Re: Console access using F1 etc      [ John Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com ]
  Re: Console access using F1 etc      [ Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> ]
  Re: 'apt-get dist-upgrade' from Lenn  [ Alex <avkorff@hotmail.com> ]
  Re: Console access using F1 etc      [ Whit Hansell <skipper44@comcast.net ]
  Re: Console access using F1 etc      [ John Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com ]
I purchased a Verizon Samsung SHU-u370 cell phone and installed a
microSD card.  When connected to a usb port the phone registers as an
ACM device, specifically as ttyACM0.  The settins on the phone allow a
choice between Media Sync Mode and Modem modem and clearly the Debian
kernel has chosen the latter though the phone is set for the former.
The manual for the phone says it should appear as a new cd drive
(presumably when connected to a Windows system, not having a Windows
system I have not tried this).

Any ideas as to how I can persuade my Debian system to cancel the ACM
setting which I am unlikely to need and recognize the phone as a mass
storage device?

Tom
I recently had to do a new installation of squeeze on a production server. Its been a LONG time since I did that and I see a few things are different since my last time. I can not access the consoles by hitting ctrl,alt, delete. I recall a couple of years ago that I had to edit something somewhere to enable this feature.  I like to use the console for doing many things as root from a command line. I thought it was a file in /etc/X11 but do not recall. Anyone know what & where I should edit.
John Foster wrote:
> I recently had to do a new installation of squeeze on a production server.

Excellent!

> Its been a LONG time since I did that and I see a few things are different
> since my last time. I can not access the consoles by hitting ctrl,alt,
> delete.

You mean Control-Alt-F1 instead.  Or Control-Alt-F2 and similar for
other function keys.

After dropping to the console then you don't need to use control
anymore.  Originally on the console it was only Alt-F1, Alt-F2, and
Alt-Left and Alt-Right to shift between virtual consoles.  Recently
because so many people have finger memory from X that the Control
modifier was also added as additional key shortcuts.

You installed X Windows on your server?  Is that wise?  If it is a
server does it need to run X11 at all?  I wouldn't think so and don't
run it on any of my servers.

Bob
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:56:48 -0400, Dan wrote:

>>> Then take a look into this Ubuntu forum thread (post #11) where a user
>>> talks about the status of that card in his distribution:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=467b83bbff9b48f6a32dc2c2d06bf452&t=1699832&page=2
>
> (...)
>
>> Thanks for your answer. That post is from April and things may have
>> changed but it seems that it is not a great idea to buy a laptop with a
>> switchable graphics card, they are not well supported right now. I was
>> debating between the Vaio S and the Macbook pro. The Macbook uses an
>> integrated intel card which should work better with Linux.
>
> Uff... I would avoid a Mac at all. Better a compatible system than
> irons from a "closed-minded" company :-)
>
> But I would reconsider a dual VGA based laptop, mainly because of two
> points:
>
> 1/ They're still fairly new in the linux scope.
>
> 2/ I see no point of having a dual VGA card at all. A good power
> management routine provided by the card's driver that reduces the watts
> consumption of the card when it is required should be enough, I don't
> see why the need of using two different graphic chipsets and what is
> worst, they can be only controlled by "undetermined" (i.e., not open)
> tools, so I prefer to stick to something that I know how it behaves.
>
>> Has anybody a good experience with switchable graphic cards?
>
> I can't tell for this, sorry ;-(
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Hi,

I went to the shop and tested a live ubuntu CD and it worked! The
wireless, sound and graphic card worked. The switch was in Stamina
(Intel graphic card) The fancy 3D effects of Unity worked pretty well,
that is enough for me as I use bare gnome. I did lspci and I can see
both cards the Intel and the AMD.

Why would you stay away from Mac... and why did you mention
compatibility? Everything should work with Debian because it is a PC.
They are just using the new EFI system, but what I understood is that
EFI will be the standard in the near future.

Greetings,
Dan

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
John Foster wrote:
> I recently had to do a new installation of squeeze on a production server.

Excellent!

> Its been a LONG time since I did that and I see a few things are different
> since my last time. I can not access the consoles by hitting ctrl,alt,
> delete.

You mean Control-Alt-F1 instead.  Or Control-Alt-F2 and similar for
other function keys.

After dropping to the console then you don't need to use control
anymore.  Originally on the console it was only Alt-F1, Alt-F2, and
Alt-Left and Alt-Right to shift between virtual consoles.  Recently
because so many people have finger memory from X that the Control
modifier was also added as additional key shortcuts.

You installed X Windows on your server?  Is that wise?  If it is a
server does it need to run X11 at all?  I wouldn't think so and don't
run it on any of my servers.

Bob
---------------------------------------
Well I use it as an application server for a lot of video content so I need the X-windows for editing and viewing. I also do both on this system and it is an intranet server as well. Any idea what I need to edit to get my system back to what I like. I will probably figure it out sooner or later, but sooner will be better.
Thanks.
John Foster wrote:
> Well I use it as an application server for a lot of video content so
> I need the X-windows for editing and viewing.  I also do both on
> this system and it is an intranet server as well.

When you said production server it implied something like a rack mount
data center server.  But you mean a machine with a graphics display
and keyboard such as a deskside and it is acting as a server too.
Gotcha.

> Any idea what I need to edit to get my system back to what I like. I
> will probably figure it out sooner or later, but sooner will be
> better.

Probably.  But please do tell us on the mailing list what it is that
you are trying to accomplish.  You asked about how to drop from X
Windows to the text console and I replied with Control-Alt-F1.  As far
as I can tell that should have completely and totally answered your
question.  But I guess not.  I and others on the mailing list will be
happy to help but we are not mind readers.  Tell us something.

Bob