Non functioning D-Link Ethernet adapter card

I installed a D-Link DGE-530T 10/100/1000 Gigabit Desktop PCI Adapter ethernet card. Based on the RTL8169xx chip. The thing is not recognized by any flavor of linux. Mint, Ubuntu, or Debian (squeeze). Worked in Windows 7pro after installing the drivers from the setup disc. I want it to work on this system (Quadruple booting of the above). There do not seem to be any instructions, from D-Link anyways, that work, though the drivers are provided as raw tarballs. I can't get them to work or even build. As these chips have been around at least since 2003 I was very surprised to find no mods precompiled in any distro. Any suggestions? Not stranded as I have a working old 3com horse in there also. Just the new one is supposed to be twice as fast.
Thanks