Console access using F1 etc

I recently had to do a new installation of squeeze on a production server. Its been a LONG time since I did that and I see a few things are different since my last time. I can not access the consoles by hitting ctrl,alt, delete. I recall a couple of years ago that I had to edit something somewhere to enable this feature.  I like to use the console for doing many things as root from a command line. I thought it was a file in /etc/X11 but do not recall. Anyone know what & where I should edit.